View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #43
WoodsWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180769
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
lots of junkers

I got the gear off the WRX transmission. I warmed the gear up to 260f with an inductive heater and was able to pull it off using the two jaw puller with the hooks ground thin enough to fit between the gear and the bearing.

I did have some small chips spalled out of the corner of a couple of teeth due to the puller breaking when trying to pull it cold. I don't think they will affect the strength of the gear, they are tiny chips, but it's still unfortunate.

Heat is the key. I wouldn't do it with a torch because you're liable to overheat the teeth before the body of the gear warms up which will take the heat treat out of the steel and ruin the gear. With an inductive heater you wrap a coil around the gear and it heats the whole gear evenly from the inside. You can also hold a thermocouple on the gear while heating it so you know right when to switch it off and start cranking the puller.

I took the rest of transmission apart after getting 5th off, and man did the PO smoke first. 6 teeth missing out of the driven gear and all the teeth gone off the drive. Plus chunks got caught in the ring and pinion and chipped them. Toast!

Now that I have the pulling method worked out I can swap the gear with the transmission in the car. I just finished up doing the clutch in it so all the bolts are anti-siezed and it will be easy to get into. Sometime in the next couple of weeks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WoodsWagon is offline   Reply With Quote