View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 224432
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
1997 Outback Limited
2012 DGM Impreza Hatch

Default 2012 Impreza Hatch Sound Deadening

So a few days ago at work i found a few rolls of ensolite in the trash. probably about 100 sq ft of 1/8 in thick gray CCF. This got me to thinking i could use it to deaden my car. The road noise is horrendous and i have nothing better to do on the weekends.
I started looking around at work for more scrap material and found a good amount of ADC (acoustic dampening compund) that we use to sound proof aircraft cabins. I also found a sheet of 1/4 thick CCF with some thick aluminum backing. I figured that was enough for the doors but not much else so i went to home depot and purchased a roll of 12 in wide butyl tape. (before people say anything negative about this: this is BUTYL tape not asphalt based, is relatively thick, a roll weighs about 15 lbs and more importantly it is dirt cheap). I also purchased some spray adhesive and caulk rope to run in the doors.

Here are the materials:

After removing the door cards I found a little more deadener than I thought I would.

I added some of the rope caulk between the door beams and the skin:

After that I applied the ADC to the door skin. This stuff is incredibly heavy and has a .020 thick aluminum backing.

After the ADC I added the foam backed aluminum on top. I only had about 4 sq ft of this so i used it as strategically as possible.

In order to reduce sound transmission in the door itself i added a layer of ensolite on top of everything using the spray adhesive.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by 97OBLimited; 02-17-2013 at 02:57 PM.
97OBLimited is offline   Reply With Quote