Member#: 873
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
1971 240Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch18 View Post
I mean safer for the car.

A manual can shift from fourth to third and blow the engine.

A manual can be driven poorly and trash a clutch.

A manual can grind gears...
Yes all of that is true if you are a ham fisted moron. Do you wonder why people with manuals come off as claiming to have more skill. These things require a tiny bit of finesse to avoid. I mean a tiny bit. These skills are what make driving enjoyable (IMHO). They are not rocket science, but they do require attention to what you are doing. Let me say that again. They REQUIRE attention to what you are doing. You are involved. You are an active participant in making the car go other than mashing the go pedal.

What you are saying is that a manual requires thought and skill from the driver and for that it is a bad thing? We come from two opposite ends of the spectrum here. I want to think for myself, and make decisions, about what I want my car to do. My Datsun is a beautiful example of this. To some extent my VW as well, although it is very much 'monitored'

I can program a robot to paint a picasso perfectly every time. But it would lack that human touch, and that little bit of imperfection that makes it special.

The decision desire a manual is an emotional one for sure.
The decision to offer one or not comes down to the decision to build cars that are faster or cars that are more involving. Since you cannot easily put a metric on 'fun and involving' and you can put on one Ring times and 0-60 PDK have grown in popularity.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SCRAPPYDO is online now   Reply With Quote