I have a 2002 forester 2.5l, a/t, Rear Drum Brakes, 4.44 open diff, and i found a 2001 4.44 LSD, I would like to put the LSD in the 02. My goal is for better traction in the snow/icy conditions in Buffalo, NY. This is not for off roading or racing, just a daily driver. I ask because my 04 Forester has a LSD rear end and it is so much better in the snow.
So My questions are:
1. Are the axles different between the open and lsd All the parts look ups i do only list 1 cv axle, not 1 for the open diff and a different 1 for the lsd.
2. Is there any difference in the driveshaft length or ujoint size from the tranny to the rear end
3. Would there be and other mods i would have to do to swap it.
4. I have done a search but couldn't find a write up on this, if you know of a write up please let me know.
5. and last, instead of the doing the carrier swap, would it be better to replace the internals with an aftermarket LSD, (money is the concern with this option)