I'm in Little Falls and have had the exhaust system off my car a few times. (Messed up the up-pipe install and had a leak.) Easiest way I've found was to pull the turbo and pull the pipe from the top, the top flange is bigger than the bottom one and is a PITA to get out that way. I took it out the bottom at first but had to jack the motor up and loosen the motor mounts. If I had to do it again I'd do the following:
1. Pull intercooler for space
2. Pull turbo off (watch for coolant/oil lines will get some leakage)
3. Pull up-pipe
4. Pull the passenger side exhaust manifold
5. Put new up-pipe in the hole
6. Attach pipe to turbo and re-install turbo
7. Attach pipe to exhaust manifold then reinstall manifold to head.
8. Reinstall IC
I know this isn't the most detailed description but is the process I ended up following to finally get it right with no leaks or noises. Steps 4-7 are what I had to do to get a proper seal with both ends of the pipe. The turbo attaches with 3 bolts to the pipe and the bottom is only two bolts. I ended up just tightening the bolts without disconnecting the manifold and actually deformed the flange on my cheapo up-pipe.