KMA2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 254771
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatchback
silver - Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFaust View Post
Very clever. I may do the same. I've already bookmarked your thread as reference.
In case it helps, I bought 4ft of the 3/8" c-channel at Lowes. (I think it was the 3/8"... you should search around a bit to be sure.) I cut the ends at a slight angle using a 4" cut-off wheel on my angle grinder and a bench vise. After cleaning them up with a file, I notched the ends by swapping out the cut-off for a regular grinder wheel. The notches only need to be deep enough to hold the stainless steel ties in place. I used one 12" tie along the top edge for looks, then used two more to finish the wrap around. Then repeat the process for the other side. I tried to get the ties as snug as I could, but I don't think they have to be super tight. The channel needs to be gently knocked onto the crimped edges of the tmic using a rubber mallet... or at least that's how I did it, so they are on there pretty good already. Be careful not to touch and mess up the cooling fins in the core when doing all of this.

I think it came out nicely. It was cheap and relatively quick, and hopefully a little extra insurance. Good luck!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by KMA2; 03-06-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarification
KMA2 is offline   Reply With Quote