Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301213
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post

Definitely not how mine works. I went down two fairly large hills, one steep enough to hold speed in 5th with no gas or brake pedal use, and one of over a mile with variable grades and steep enough to maintain a constant speed. In both cases, even when the "speed stabilized" it stayed in 5th while compression braking. It is not until I give it some gas or the engine speed slows to basically idle in the gear, which is the same thing, that it goes back to drive. When depressing the gas pedal, it will go back to drive under any conditions after only a couple of seconds (even when downshifting and then upshifting).

Is that not how everyone's works?
Mine stays in gear going downhill until I do something to make it go back to D even if it holds a steady speed. But then we don't have very big hills around here. I usually use a paddle up to 6th to defeat the D mode downhill engine braking.

I really hated the engine braking at first but have gotten used to it. It makes sense for maintaining a set speed without having to stab the brakes as often.

Eco driving 101, if you have to use the brakes, you lose.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote