Subie FA20
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 72195
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2016 STI
World Rally Blue

Brief writeup:

Ended up picking up a Rydeen DUO backup camera locally from a seller. I'm using the Forester CP635U1 Headunit

Install was pretty easy. I have a 2012 WRX sedan

1: took off trunk carpeting
2: took off rear plate light rim (from inside trunk, its 2 nuts that hold the trim)
3: came with a camera template. placed it on, drilled one hole and put in the camera, followed by tightening it down.
4: run wire through the hole where the plate lights go through (had to cut the grommet to slide the wire through for a tight fit)
5: run the wire to the front of the car: i ran it through trunk, through pass. rear seat trim all the way down the pass. sill (note: it's a PITA to remove the sill covers. i cracked one). Took off the pass. side kick panel (door side) and ran wire through there, across and behind glove box, into the radio.
6: removed the radio. installed SVXdc's harness to back of my radio. I got the 8 pin (http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-8-pin.htm) with the additional wire for the reverse gear signal ($2 additional and needed)
7: the camera has a nice feature. you don't need to run power to your reverse llights, it's tapped off the head unit. (i have CP635U1). See below:
8: The additional wire, reverse gear signal, plugs into the OEM 16-pin harness that plugs in the radio. You extend that wire (i used 18ga wire) to the passenger side kick panel area (same way you routed the camera wire, but reverse). There is a Br-Y (Brown/yellow) wire. You T-Tap it (vampire clip). The same wire (rear signal wire) that you attached to the 16-pin plug, you T-Tap (vampire clip) the camera wire (the camera has a power wire leading off of the Yellow/Video RCA) into the rear signal wire.
9: the 8-pin SVXdc harness has a Ground wire. I cut the end off and T-Tapped it into the Radio's GROUND wire
10: the Camera also has an extra set of power wires (ground/power) near the camera. I didn't use those. I cut the ends off, taped off and hid it. As said before, this combination that i have, i didn't need to use any additional power source.
11: You're done! Turn the ACC on the car, turn the radio on, put the car in reverse and make sure it works. Put everything back together and enjoy!

Sorry i didn't take any pictures. I decided to do this outside when it started snowing and ended up finishing it up in the garage of my job that night (freezing temperature). So unfortunately i just hustled and got it done.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subie FA20 is offline   Reply With Quote