Scooby Newbie

Member#: 333487
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
No one is concerned about meeting the Window Sticker numbers who is driving within the parameters of the EPA tests. Most of the complainers have one of three factors that are killing their MPG's:

1) cold start/short commutes where the engine never reaches operating temps.
2) high speed driving (you know who you are).
3) those who stomp on the accelerator.

If you drive on the highway at 65mph with the cruise on you will see 30-40mpg
If you drive in the city for distances more than 10 miles you will see the city numbers.

If you drive it like you stole it, or never let it warm up, or expect the EPA numbers at average speeds over 70mph it ain't gonna happen, and it isn't the fault of Subaru, nor the EPA, nor the PZEV, nor the CVT, etc.

And you can get better mpg with a fwd, or a prius. Them's are facts. You can get window stickers with this car, no matter what the transmission, but you need to drive like you value mpg's more than not.

Zauri, you already know all this because your car does fine when you drive it longer distances, but your short commute with a cold engine provides crap for mpg's. Potential City drivers should be aware, but it does not mean that the EPA test was gamed or Subaru is lying. The EPA test uses a cold start but the rest of the 30 minute test is with the engine warming and warmed up.
Of course.

Yeah I wasn't referring to my case(as I have little/no issue tbh) just providing perspective for where all the the discontent continuously comes from.(It tends to get lost in all the pot shotting). I also do not think Subaru is on the hook for false advertising, not even close.

On those days where it has warmed I have already seen a slight improvement in how this cars performs MPG wise. Also I have started driving further into work instead of the short trips to the bus stop. Only managed about a 1-2 mpg increase but my tanks are inching much closer to at or above 300 miles now.

Mid distances drives > 10 but < 20 are often a toss up between the factors listed above. Mine are on back roads that tend to result in a constant mid speed drive with a few stops here and there which of course has contributed to the slight improvement.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote