Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 83441
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 5DR WRX
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline23 View Post
I have the nameless catback with 5" mufflers on my GR hatch. I've had it for a few months and I do not have anything like you are describing. I had just axleback on for a bit as well. The only time where I get a lot of noise is above 3500 RPM and cold idle. You shoudl check to make sure you tightened it properly to the midpipe.
Well, it took about an hour to get the two nuts off even though she only has 9k miles. I picked up some new bolts and nuts and really cranked them down as much as I could. This was my first exhaust install though and I did finish in the dark. I guess I'll put it on ramps again on Saturday and take a look. I did notice that the gasket they provided was a little wider than the stock midpipe end.

I have noticed a mixture of people like us in this thread.. One person hears loud boomy bass and another doesn't. Oddly enough, my girlfriend thinks it's perfect. IMO my drive to work today was a little annoying though.

Edit: While working on it, I gave it a couple revs with no axle back just to hear how it sounded, and it honestly doesn't sound a whole lot quieter with the nameless axle back on. So, maybe there's a leak at that gasket... I'll report back when I know more.

Edit 2: Crawled under the car after work. I could only tighten the nuts down about 1/16th rotation more. I noticed that the heat shield above could possibly be amplifying the bass. The passenger side muffler is only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the shield. I looked everything over again and nothing stood out as odd to me. I guess I'll see if the tone changes over time and I'll add that MLV on Friday or Saturday. The growl is incredible. I want to just keep changing through the gears to hear it. Caught myself going too fast a couple times.

Edit 3: I have realized that it has not gotten any better. I'm just getting better at tuning it out. I had my girlfriend do a couple laps around the block while I stood on the curb and I'm fairly confident that the boomy bits are louder inside the car than outside.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by mclrn227; 03-21-2013 at 09:00 AM.
mclrn227 is offline   Reply With Quote