Scooby Newbie

Member#: 340297
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiTWO View Post
Ever hear of paddles? I can be in the same gear ratio as you. Just as much pep. And when my car shifts from '1st' to '2nd' in paddle-mode, the throttle is WOT, and the momentum of the 6500 rpm engine goes to throwing the car forward. From a stop, my torque converter can MULTIPLY the engines torque for better accel. (Don't use the flawed 0-60 times C&D and others posted, they didn't do brake-stands for the CVTs, but did launch the MT cars).

On the superslab, when you're in 6th, how much pep ya got? NONE! All I have to do is floor it, and I'm at torque peak in a second, faster than you can downshift 3 gears.
I've driven the CVT, there is massive amounts of shift lag when using the paddles. Your CVT can't be revved and then have the clutch engaged at a brisk pace to provide peppy acceleration, a manual can. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, it does it's job well, its efficient and provides good power to the wheels when it should, but the manual does provide a more responsive feel and is more fun to drive (unless you are not an auto enthusiast, or are a very unusual kind). It is also faster. It's not much faster, and off the track it doesn't matter, but that goes far enough to show that the feel of the manual is completely different from the CVT. Different gear ratios, faster changes and the use of a real clutch make the manual feel more responsive.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote