Scooby Newbie

Member#: 172670
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2011 STI 5-door
2013 F150 Ecoboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlinkidd66 View Post
I know this topic was touched on earlier but I decided to contact SCCA in my region to see what they had to say about. So i want to share my findings with my fellow Subies:

This is regarding the Crawford AOS which caps off the stock PCV.

I wrote to the South Carolina Region SCCA:

"The 2013 classing rules for Street touring in Section 14.10 C. states:
The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be
modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body, carburetor,
compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever comes first. The
existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of
ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled
for mounting. Emissions or engine management components in the
air intake system, such as a PCV valve or mass airflow sensor, may
not be removed, modified, or replaced, and must retain their original
function along the flow path.

I want to install a Crawford Air-Oil Seperator (AOS) on my Subaru WRX STi for ENGINE SAFETY AND RELIABILITY. These cars have a LOT of oil blow-by in autocross. This AOS stops this from occurring. Effectively keeping octane levels from dropping and reducing the occurrence of detonation and knock.

The Crawford AOS installation caps’s off the PCV valve via a rubber cap over the inlet.

I wanted to know if there is any way this safety precaution (AOS) would be permitted in the street touring classification. I think that most would agree that this AOS is not a performance enhancement but rather a safety net in order to compete and keep the engine safe.

If you can advise me on whether or not this is allowable for street touring classification or not, please let me know. If not I would like to propose and exception in the ruling be made to allow for these types of modifications."

This was their reply:

"Your purpose for the modification fits within the "spirit of the rules" as far as I am concerned. It may not pass muster at a national level event, but at local events you will find that your competitors do not mind. The easiest thing to do is just ask your competitors "Hey, I put this on to protect my engine, but I would like to run street touring class against you, do you mind?" 9 times out of 10 they will not mind at a local event. Let me know if you have any further questions, and go play in STU!

Thanks!

Daniel"

My Conclusion: Nothing matters until you get good... lol
You could just do what I did, and make a simple STU-legal catch can setup for your car. I will be at Black Lake on Sunday (37 PSTU), if you want a look at it. All said, I spent less than $10, so you'd be saving quite a bit over the Crawford kit, too.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
em99sport is offline   Reply With Quote