Scooby Newbie

Member#: 281396
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzay View Post
I brought my 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i into a local dealership today for an oil change and tire rotation. When rotating the tires, the technician encountered a frozen lug nut on one of the tires. The repair was initially refused, with my intention being to do it myself at home, however the service advisor stated the lug nut was halfway off, and unable to be moved in either direction. I reluctantly agreed to the $120 repair, which was reduced to $70, knowing it was likely a repair covered by my Subaru Gold extended warranty.

The service advisor denied the warranty claim, citing that the issue involves a "routine maintenance item," related to the tires, which are explicitly excluded under Subaru Gold. My counter argument to this assertion relies on the fact that lug nuts and studs are not quoted in the maintenance guide (nor 30k, 60k, 120k services) as being items routinely replaced, nor are they wear and tear items. There is also the concern that the lug nut was partially removed before it seized. This dealership was the sole maintaining entity for my car, and I've encountered issues once before in removing a flat tire for repair. The removal was abandoned upon noting it only possible to remove 1 lug nut by hand, and subsequently repairing the tire in situ.

Clear terms for what is covered under the Gold warranty are difficult to locate, thus I'd like to know what such an item would fall under. It is certainly not a routine maintenance item, unless it is automatically coupled to the routine maintenance of wheels (tire rotation). In the mean time, Subaru has been contacted, and an appeal has been initiated.
Yeah, sounds like you got hosed. One the bright side the lug bolt and a new lug nut run you about $5.00 for the pair. A couple of washers and a matching threaded nut about $3.00 from Advance Auto Parts. Add in 5-10 minutes to remove tire and brake caliper and viola! Dealership charges an astronomical amount. Wow...I would never pay that! Make sure your tires aren't being over torqued; especially from an impact gun.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote