Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342130
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2010 Forester
Camelia Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by meifert View Post

read that. it's been confirmed by multiple people. you load up the rear with a WRX/STI suspension and the control arm will hit the body or frame potentially causing failure, damage and discomfort. just because something can bolt right up, doesn't mean it should be done.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...p-help-116896/

jmackoul from subaruforester.org said this.

What i'm talking about is that with the sti/wrx suspension, the upper control arm is very very close to the chasis. when and if you have over 300lbs load in back seats + a passenger, in other words, a full car, the upper control arm will actually rest on the chasis. This is because the impreza has a bent upper control arm and the forester has a straight upper control arm. This is why some people that have swapped for the sti suspension opted for a 1'' top hat lift kit front and rear. Slamming the forester isn't a mechanically sound mod unless you swap out the straight upper control arm for a bent impreza upper control arm.

I don't plan on swapping to the sti/wrx setup. Based on portbarton's (Philippines) review of them on stock springs, the dampening rate is higher and provides a slightly firmer ride, although he does emphasize that they are not a sport strut. SH owners interested in the KYB's hope to mate them with swifts as this should provide a few things:
1) a better dampening strut that is better than stock
2) a strut that can easily handle the 1'' drop from the sift springs
3) a comfortable strut
IMO, struts and springs are not the crux of ones suspension. sway bars, end links, springs, and subframe bushings are really what can make a comfortable daily driver turn like a track car.
I've not had any problems with it yet. I initially looked into the wrx control arms as they can be had pretty cheap on Ebay. I might get some down the road. The only draw back is then I've got to have another alignment. I would then have to have the powerflex bushings installed into the wrx control arms. Which is even more added expense. Then again theoretically if I went with coil overs the same thing would occur unless they were Forester specific.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by 2010SubieFoz; 03-26-2013 at 03:24 AM.
2010SubieFoz is offline   Reply With Quote