Realityryan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346282
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 Subaru Wrx Sti
Spark Silver Metallic

Default 2011 STI -- TIMING BELT JUMPED after less than 24hrs of ownership

So less than 24hrs after I took ownership of my new (used) 2011 Subaru WRX STI it died on me getting coffee this morning. I was taking a drive with two of my coworkers and doing a bit of "spirited driving" but then I slowed down when I got closer to the Brueggers I was going to and the Engine lost all power and the car slowly came to a halt. There was a slight squealing sound that came from the back and then I smelled some kind of burnt odor coming from the air vents. When I tried to start the car again it turned over but wouldn't start, continually trying to do this lead to some popping noises from backfiring and eventually my battery died.

FUN. FUN.

A quick "google" of the problem and reading a few postings on Nasioc lead me to a few things to check/do inspect fuses, disconnect the MAF, and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

NO LUCK.

The car is currently sitting in queue at the service center of my local dealership to be looked at tomorrow morning. I spoke with the previous owner via facebook who told me the only modification he ever made was a cat back exhaust. So I expect no problems with the dealer fixing the problem as it only has 25,000 miles and is a 2011...but the more I read around here...the more it seems like dealers love to deny warranty claims.

I know this type of thread is cliche and often posting one implies that the OP didn't read previous 900 similar postings that preceded theirs but I rest assured that is not the case. I'm almost certain this is either a FPR, O-Ring, or another Fuel Pump related issue but I decided to post videos and pictures and get a little more perspective from the forum.

Will post an update when I hear back from the dealership, so others can better diagnose their problems when they have them.

********* -- RESOLVED -- **********
Timing belt jumped two teeth...read on for more information.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Realityryan; 03-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Realityryan is offline   Reply With Quote