KC
Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Quote:
I am thinking of Continental DWS tires for a replacement (eventually) since they are reputed to be a bit quieter, more capable in inclement weather and softer ride quality.
When people call DWS's 'softer', they're talking about the tread being soft/grippy, they will wear a little faster than what you have now.

DWS's, however, are not softer in ride quality than what you have now. If anything, they have a stiffer sidewall to enhance cornering feel, which will translate to a harsher feel in the steering over bumps, and will 'pull' (or tram) in highways with ruts from heavy traffic/18-wheelers. Don't get me wrong, they're damn good tires for all seasons... had them on my Pontiac G8, but in reading and trying to grasp what you're looking to do, they're definitely not for you. They're better for those that prefer spirited driving (more driving feel, imprefections, vibrations, will be translated to the steering wheel).

Quote:
205/50/17 to 215/50/17
Keep in mind if you are to do that, your speedo will be off a bit (1.6%). So if your speedo is saying 65, you're actually doing 66.

If you want more sidewall softness, look at downsizing to a 205/55-16. You'll have more sidewall, in addition to more sidewall flex, and the speedo will be close to accurate.

Maybe you should define 'clompy' better? What are you feeling, and what do you NOT want to feel?

--kC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote