View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #75
Digital_Bees
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 178992
Vehicle:
2011 REX Wagon
Spark Silver

Just did this over the weekend. If you're a novice -- like me -- leave yourself some extra time for everything. Not only will you want to panic a few times as you see the linkage out of the car, but you'll also find yourself a bit claustrophobic when you remove it. Also, if you have meat hooks any larger than that of the average girl scout, you'll want to budget some extra time to get the new bushings in place and threaded correctly. The rear one won't want to thread in there right, but if you have some patience and get the fronts set you should be able to get it done. And use some blue loctite for the low-torque bolts as a just in case. Also, just make sure to have the right tools -- the snap ring pliers are a must (I have a couple pairs and there was one variation that worked best), and have a little zip tie handy for the wire that you're going to find holding the rubber shifter shroud to the shifter itself. Just clip the wire and replace it with the zip tie.

As for replacing the shifter and not the bushings...no question, replace the bushings. My 2011 wagon only had 18K on it and the stock rear bushing was garbage. Honestly, it had the consistency and stickiness of a cold gummy bear, so I can't imagine it would get much better in the summer months. The new polyurethane ones are much stiffer and will last you forever -- and really bring the short throw experience to life. In my opinion, the bushings are far more important than the shifter itself -- they tighten everything down.

Other than that, allow yourself adequate time to bandage up your knuckles, enjoy a couple beers, and marvel at your accomplishment.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Digital_Bees is offline   Reply With Quote