gfv355
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330335
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
02 wrx, stage 2
silver

Default Short block swap vs motor swap advice wanted

Hey guys ive seen a few threads like this but i was wondering whats the best decision to fit my needs on this issue.

I have a 02 wrx non sti stock with around 150000 miles on it, about seven months ago i noticed a potential knock. That was about 2 months after i bought the car. Anyway ive been driving it as my dd and would like to figure out my next course of action.

Everything about the car i love, clutch grabs great, suspensions good although could use some freshening up. Bodys in decent shape ect. At first i was going to trade it in twords an sti but i figure now that i really like the car and could just work with what i currently have for much less insurance money.

I went to automotive school for 1.5 out of a 2 year ase certification degree and ironically enough couldent finish because of car problems so i understand the basics at the very least about cars.

What i want to do is spend no more than 6000 dollars, have a good solid foundation for modification id say up to 300 whp if possible, my choices so far seem, get a stock ej205 shortblock and swap it out. Try and find a rebuilt ej205 block (if anybody knows where i can have a good block rebuilt id like to do some number crunching). A full motor swap with a used motor, (possibly a ej250?) Are there any other avenues i should consider?

This is my daily driver car and i work full time so i wont be doing the work myself although i would prefer it. Im kind of uneasy about putting the stock head on a brand new block should i be? Anyway let me know what you guys think
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gfv355 is offline   Reply With Quote