Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
05WRXWill
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343851
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
05 WRX
Black

This is some solid input, a little about my driving style, I try to drive it like a grandpa, but I get those primal urges every now and then of which I still try to be mindful of the flimsy transmission. I recall reading through the forum and hearing a lot of complaints about the tolerance levels of the transmission which definitely has me worried.

Perusing the local auto market in Houston I've found only 2 STI's of which I would consider purchasing though I would be worried about the abuse they may have already endured. An engine rebuild may also be a serious consideration on my end as well though I have yet to see any noticeable signs of imminent failure. Once again I emphasize that reliability is the first concern, the performance upgrades I mentioned would be the extent of what I'd like to modify (suspension, turboback exhaust, Accessport, BOV, AWD Tune at a local reputable shop). I'm not looking to take this car to the track or do any autocross since it is my DD (looking for around 300hp).

I will definitely look into researching Koni suspension after reading the previous post.

I will look into the possibility of purchasing a STI, though I'm still quite skeptical. Insurance premiums will raise and MPG will diminish further I'm assuming

I'm leaning more towards keeping what I have so I suppose I should get a bit more specific, Should I have the transmission rebuilt, or should I replace it?

Are their other parts that are common oem structural failures on WRX's that I should anticipate moving forward?

If these issues in regards to reliability are the worst of what to expect then I suppose the performance upgrades should be considered.

Specifically what would be a good suspension system to look into, I want to get multiple perspectives and see if there is a tendency/consensus among owners. Thanks again for the suspension advice, I will look into dialing in the specs given the previous information in regards to stance. (Koni, H&R, Tein, RCE, APS

What turboback exhaust kits should I look into? I want a low pitch rumble, and reliability that will won't goof anything up. (Borla, Greddy, HKS, Invidia, others?)

BOV: Which ones aren't prone to getting stuck/leaks/failure? I'm sure the stock recirculating one is probably worn down a bit.

I will stick with the stock intercooler as I don't feel the need to upgrade the turbo.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
05WRXWill is offline   Reply With Quote