Member#: 321368
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-door
DGM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrya View Post
Opening and making sure the butyl rubber goo doesn't stick onto the headlight lens etc. is important. Otherwise, cleanup is quite challenging.

I highly recommend retrofitting a different set than your oem. If price is a constraint:
  • Consider a replica oem headlight set or someone's oem headlight posted in the classifieds
  • Consider HID bulbs from TRS instead of regular Phillips, Osram, or more expensive alternatives. You can always "upgrade" to better bulbs later. But don't completely skimp and buy no name HID bulbs either.
  • Wait for group buys or garage sales from your favorite vendor. TRS just had a garage sale that offerred 2nd hand Ma-tsu-shi-ta ballasts for a lower price than their aftermarket ballasts. TRS' ballasts offer good value. I wouldn't consider any other aftermarket options that are less expensive.
  • Take your time before deciding which projectors to get. I chose Mini D2S for my first retrofit because I wasn't sure if anything bigger could fit. While I was satisfied with the output relative to the oem halogen reflectors, I later found out that I had ample space in my aftermarket headlights to fit a bigger unit. So I ended up spending money on 2 sets of retrofit systems.
  • Check the beam alignment on the car before resealing the headlights. I've seen too many eager retrofitters in HIDP forum that sealed the headlights back, mounted them back on the car, and found that the alignment was off.
The last one isn't really a cost savings tip; more of an annoyance issue.
Satrya, to your first point, I'm looking to get a retrofit kit, but I don't want to compromise my current OEM headlights. I'm thinking about buying new ones, but not the complete set. Is it possible to simply buy the external housings off one of the many subaru part websites? If so, which parts would we I need to buy? (I have a 2012 WRX, Premium) Wouldn't that be substantially cheaper than buying a complete set of OEM headlights?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
timtalkshow is offline   Reply With Quote