1x2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73564
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
black-no wing no badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenzonies View Post
Any thoughts on this timing belt kit? Seems to be a good deal and includes a lot of stuff others don't. It list the manufacturers of all the included parts further down the page.
Thoughts? My impression from what I've read on this forum is that the idler bearings wear out faster than the OEM Mitsuboshi belt.

I'd feel safer with the Mitsuboshi belt than with the Gates belt that came with the Gates kit I bought, even though Gates warranties the parts for the 105/105 factory interval (it's easier for them to put up a belt than for me to bet my engine). That said, I don't feel underserved with the Gates belt. The (Bando) drive belts in the fcimport kit are a non-issue, comparatively speaking.

If the bearings in the kit you're looking at are "double thick" and from a reputable manufacturer, I would think you'd have nothing to worry about. I don't know how you'd know that, though, until you have the parts in hand. Meaty's guides show some single thickness bearings with the brown and/or green bearing seals that are apparently to be avoided, and I find it hard to argue against a (double-thick) bearing setup, as it spreads the stress over a larger area than the single thickness bearings. The Gates kit I purchased includes double-thick Koyo (Japan) bearings.

Perhaps someone who has recently purchased the fcimport kit in question will chime in and save us from further speculation.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by 1x2; 04-05-2013 at 01:15 AM.
1x2 is offline   Reply With Quote