Emcee0007
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350895
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default Kid Car Seats and Protecting Leather

I am a proud new owner of a 2013 WRX Limited, as of 2 weeks ago and I love my new car. So my problem is with protecting my leather seats in the rear from 2 car seats, one for my newborn (rear-facing Chicco Key Fit) and my toddler a forward-facing Safety 1st Air.

The Safety 1st is the only seat I installed so far and it has put some impressions in the leather that I didn't quite expect after just one or two uses.

My question is what if anything are people doing to protect the leather seat bottom AND back from impressions??

I put a thick towel underneath (made sure the seat was still secured with little movement) until I could find a better protector. (I see Britax makes a seat protector as does Prince Lionheart). The Safety 1st seat may be the worst possible seat in this regard because it doesn't have a broad, flat base. It has thin fins that don't distribute the pressure across a large area.

The whole Britax versus Recaro discussion in this thread is interesting as well. We have been using a Britax Marathon in my wife's car, the seat is great. It also has a flat base that seems better in terms of minimizing damage to a seat. It also only touches the seat back at the very top.

I just got a Recaro ProSport today from Amazon and although it's a pretty cool looking seat and appears to have very good safety reviews, it is a HEAVY car seat and pretty big. In terms of possible impressions left on a car's seat, it might do more harm than the Britax but less than the Safety 1st.

What are you doing to protect your seats if anything? I want to be able to yank the car seats out when necessary and not be majorly depressed about having ruined the leather in my brand new baby (the mechanical baby, not the human one

Sorry for the short novel! Thanks for any advice.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Emcee0007 is offline   Reply With Quote