Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180632
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 impreza 2.5I
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee0007 View Post
I am a proud new owner of a 2013 WRX Limited, as of 2 weeks ago and I love my new car. So my problem is with protecting my leather seats in the rear from 2 car seats, one for my newborn (rear-facing Chicco Key Fit) and my toddler a forward-facing Safety 1st Air.

The Safety 1st is the only seat I installed so far and it has put some impressions in the leather that I didn't quite expect after just one or two uses.

My question is what if anything are people doing to protect the leather seat bottom AND back from impressions??

I put a thick towel underneath (made sure the seat was still secured with little movement) until I could find a better protector. (I see Britax makes a seat protector as does Prince Lionheart). The Safety 1st seat may be the worst possible seat in this regard because it doesn't have a broad, flat base. It has thin fins that don't distribute the pressure across a large area.

The whole Britax versus Recaro discussion in this thread is interesting as well. We have been using a Britax Marathon in my wife's car, the seat is great. It also has a flat base that seems better in terms of minimizing damage to a seat. It also only touches the seat back at the very top.

I just got a Recaro ProSport today from Amazon and although it's a pretty cool looking seat and appears to have very good safety reviews, it is a HEAVY car seat and pretty big. In terms of possible impressions left on a car's seat, it might do more harm than the Britax but less than the Safety 1st.

What are you doing to protect your seats if anything? I want to be able to yank the car seats out when necessary and not be majorly depressed about having ruined the leather in my brand new baby (the mechanical baby, not the human one

Sorry for the short novel! Thanks for any advice.
It is never recommended to use a seat protector. They will ALWAYS mask a bad install, haven't been crash tested with most seats and can void the warranty of the seat. Impressions are always going to happen, some worse than others. As a car passenger safety technician, all we are allowed to recommend is a thin receiving blanket on the back and bottom, the likelihood that anything thicker than a towel masks a bad install is pretty likely. None of the car seats on the market should rip or tear your leather. It is recommended that if you are worried about impressions, to pop the seats out on a regular basis (say once a month) and leave them out for a couple of days. Any impressions in the seat will then pop back to normal.

As far as recaro... I've said it before and I'll say it again. Over-rated. The price is ridiculously inflated and there are better/longer lasting seats on the market that are less expensive and easier to use.

That being said, what are the stats of your older child (age, weight, torso height (bum to shoulder))?

Also your marathon that you've been using (assuming you're using it forward facing as well) should be completely flush against the back seat. If it is only touching at the top then it is not installed correctly as britax maintains that at least 80% of the car seat needs to be in contact with the vehicle seat.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
italianhunnybee is offline   Reply With Quote