Scooby Guru

Member#: 120273
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
06 WRBWRXWGN
Now with 100% more Spec-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-45ACP View Post
Bearings are always better than bushings in every application that I know of so I would say you are on to something!
Better in every application? What about cost? I'm sure bushings were cheaper than bearings for Subaru to spec, manufacture and install.

Also, what about poor weather and salt-spray testing? Even sealed bearings have a hard time resisting salt spray. Bushings, however, don't have near as much trouble. You'll rarely find a seized bushing, but bearing seize all the time for a variety of reasons.

And then there is NVH (noise/vibration/harshness). Most people do not want to feel the intimate inner workings of their transmission when they shift. They also don't want to hear it. Bushings help to isolate some of the harsher frequencies from the driver and cabin. Again, this is most likely why Subaru spec'd bushings in this application.

I agree, I would love to see bearings in this particular application, but to make a blanket statement that they are better in every application without considering design goals/constraints is silly.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kpluiten is online now   Reply With Quote