Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171261
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2010 STi w/ BBS/Navi
Satin Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianhunnybee View Post
I think you are referring to the top tether. Latch depending on your vehicle has very specific allowable weight limits. Subaru for example is car seat weight plus child weight may not exceed 60lbs. 48 lbs of you are only using the lower anchors.

As a certified car passenger safety technician I unfortunately see many children ages 2-3 come into a check in a high back booster, why because they're over 30 lbs. We have a saying 'is your child a minimum or a maximum'? Meaning yes, at this point in time the legal rules say a child must be at least 1 year AND 20 lbs before they may face forward, the recommendation (which isn't new... It's been around since the early 90s, just more publicized now) is to remain rear facing to at least 2 years or the maximum of your seat, pp would be 40lbs, however the recaro mentioned above only has a 35lb rear facing weight limit. Yes you can turn a 1 and 20 child forward but is it the safest option, no. Yes you can put a 30lb 3 year old in a high back booster, but is it safe, no.

That being said it is my job to educate not enforce. I could go blue in the face listing many reasons why rear facing is safer, harnessing is safer etc, but ultimately it is the parents decision.

As for the person who bumped the thread. If you seat is leaning then its being pulled up by the belt. Unbuckle and try to put equal force on the seat as you re-buckle and don't pull super hard when feeding the seatbelt back into the retractor. As for the cargo thing. I don't know. Is it possible to take a picture and upload it? I haven't been in that new of a vehicle yet so without seeing it I can't give my opinion.
I was reading this thread and i started reading into your posts, I was just about to say you must be a certified CR tech, and Bingo! I am too NHTSA certified CR Tech, high 5!

just to piggy back on what you said, law states is okay to turn a 1 year and 20 lbs child forward facing, however PARENTS! keep your child rear facing as long as possible until the capacity of weight reaches on your Child restrain ( child seat) before 2 years of age, their spine do not have those facets developed, those facets holds the discs on the spine... a minor collision may cause their disc to slip out and paralyze for life! rear facing increase "ride down time" (the time that it takes your body to come to a complete stop in a car crash) for your child.. it's best practice to keep them rear facing ... some people say.. oh but my child's legs are bending... well... you don't get a second chance with your child's back, and the leg is designed to bend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc2zgrVwTh4
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
asukadc is offline   Reply With Quote