Scooby Newbie

Member#: 56179
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterous View Post

Yeah, that's been well known and understood in the community for years BUT there is one major difference. The AN fittings on the standard Peterson can are -10 and -8. Phil has his cans custom made with -12 and -10 fittings so that they flow more air. This however doesn't really add cost to the can but you're likely missing the point here. The Element kit is exactly that, a "kit", not an individual part. Peterson sells their can 100% bare and includes nothing with it. Its all the extra bits included with the can plus a reasonable markup that brings the cost of the kit to ~$300.

I purchased my can used in the for sale section of NASIOC several years ago because I am always looking for a deal. Even though I didn't buy one new, I do see the value in the quality, completeness, instructions, etc included with the Element kit. In my opinion, the most valuable piece of the Element kit is the super expensive vac hose used to plumb up the can. Keep in mind that 99% of people use cheap heater hose made for coolant applications (I am guessing you're in the 99%). Within a very short period of time this cheap hose will start to weep oil and break down exposing the fact that its inadequate for the task at hand. Further, most people use walmart grade "T" fittings and barbs that also break down under heat, oil and other extreme conditions in a very short period of time. In my experience, the cheap fittings will crack if disturbed after more than a single season of limited driving. The stress and high temps encountered during track time will quickly expose any inadequate component for what it is.

From a sales, engineering and marketing standpoint, I dont think the Element kit is really overpriced at all. I am sure Phil pays exactly the same price that we would all pay from Peterson, bundles another 10ft of hose which runs around $9 per foot, "T"s, Barbs, and hardware. This all likely runs around $200 after shipping and to that he adds 30% markup to arrive at a price near $300. I am sure the communists in the room will have a problem with a greedy capitalist making 30% markup but that's life.
Soooooooo... You're not pulling vacuum?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bettner12 is offline   Reply With Quote