Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #54
shane86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67387
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 WRX - STX
05 LGT Limited Wagon

I can see why people who haven't done their research would be upset by the AppRadio 2. Without a phone attached, it's capabilities are quite limited.

This is why i stretched the budget a bit and picked up the AVH-X8500BHS i've been noting in the thread.

After a few days with the radio i'm quite impressed. the touch screen is pretty responsive, xm works awesome, SD card is handy, and the bluetooth speakerphone is fantastic.

The SD Card has been a little flakey, but better after i put some serious time in updating the ID3 tags and making sure there weren't any special characters in the file names (what, i like japanese music?) or tag data. App radio mode has been excelent when working. ARLiberator works great, but is a little finike with this radio and the order you do things in. Make sure ARLiberator is running, start the car, and then connect the HDMI cable seems to have the best results. It's pretty awesome being able to use TuneIn Radio and stream some of my favorite shoutcast stations right on my screen. Streaming Youtube also is pretty entertaining, and the Google music interface translates excellently to the radio interface.

My iPod is ancient, and pretty much lives in my racecar, so i probably won't be buying the cable to run that. i may test out a thumb drive with some video down the road.

all in all, i'm pretty happy. i haven't come across a situation where i'm disappointed i didn't buy one with nav yet, as the few days I've been playing with it were all just around town. but google maps did look nice right up on the screen.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shane86 is offline   Reply With Quote