MgMidget72
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57926
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Default A/C Leak Found - How to Fix?

I found out yesterday that I have a leak in the a/c system where the discharge pipe attaches to the compressor (part 10 http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...hp?partid=7314). Whatís involved in fixing this? Is it just a matter of getting the correct o-ring and replacing it, or is there more? Anything else I should do while the systems open? Whereís the best place locally to buy the o-ring. I have a long trip on Thursday and itís supposed to be warm here, so Iím hoping to do this quickly.

Background:
2003 WRX, 145,000 miles
For the past few years, this has just been a slow leak that Iíve been topping up or occasionally pumping the system down with a vacuum pump and doing a full recharge. Even when pumping it down, it held the vacuum after shutting off the pump. Yesterday, it was slowly loosing vacuum, but I thought Iíd try filling it anyway before it sucked in more air. Once I opened the knob on the gauges and the coolant started filling the system, I started to hear a hissing noise and turned off the knobs on the gauges and the bottle. The hiss was coming from the compressor, where the pipe to the condenser attaches.

Thanks,
Scott
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MgMidget72 is offline   Reply With Quote