Itsawagon37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 303384
Vehicle:
04 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default 04-07 Wagon Wing angle adjustment

Hey Wagon Owners!!

Ever try to find a more agressive wing or one that may actually help on the track? I cant find one but I found a way to adjust the angle of the rear wing. I know it will gain no actual downforce increase in its current state(untill I get it molded into place and whatnot) but for that more agressive look on the street here is an idea I just installed.
Its simple and cheap(under $20) and completely reversable as shown. And it can be done in an afternoon.

(Sorry for you 08 hatchback guys who bought that $100 Perrin wing stand off kit, im sure you can find the parts like I did at Lowes too )

So where is what you need at Lowes.

In the Hardware section they have a Specilty Bolt cabnet. you can get all the parts in this area.

I used Hillman brand parts.
you will need

2- M6x1.00 x65 Hex cap bolts
2- 1/2x .257 x 1 nylon spacers
2- 1/2x .257 x1/4 nylon spacers
2- 1/2" post binder bolt set (this is a female shanked bolt with a flat head and a short screw with a flathead screwdriver groove)
1 bag of 1/8x 3/4 fender washers.

Once you remove the stock wing, there is a set of pop clips that you need to remove, do not break the plastic holders for it, your 1/2" binder post will snap in there.
I suggest putting a small piece of black tape(electrical tape) on it to help it from free spinning when you put the screw in.

I wraped the nylon spacers in electrical tape for appearances.

Next seal up the whole in the wing with black tape, use 3 strips start at the back near the glass and overlap each layer 1/4" slit the tape over the hole when done. I trimmed my tape to extend past the hole 1/4 on each side.

Now for the wing take the new longer bolts place 4 flat washers(not the fender washers) on the hex head side and down through the original bolt hole. Place the 1" spacer on the hex bolt underneath and start the bolt in the nut in the hatch, you must start this by hand, it is easy to cross thread as the angle is not 100% straight. once both bolts are in you may tighten it down but not all the way.

Here is the tricky part...
over the hole on the outside you sealed tape 1 flat waster down and slit the hole. next place the 1/4" spacer on the binding post and ease it down through the washer, a second person can help get the other side. this can be tricky as you have to force it with a finger. You will know you got it when the wing starts to pinch your finger.

Once this is in place its time for the fender washer and the screw.
below is the best way to help start it with some black tape.

You must start it by hand, its tricky but it can be done, these are aluminum so they strip/cross thread EASY!
They are in the holes where the gromets fit from the wires for the wiper and defrost grid. it will take a few tries but be paitent and steady.

Once you get it finish it with the screw driver. It may not get fully tight as the post may spin in which case you can take it all off and add more tape or check how loose it is and leave it if its not too loose.
Mine has maybe a 16th" of play or less. But the fender washer is larger then the hole so it wont pull through from the inside.
Put tape on it when finished just to help prevent it from backing off.

Now you can finish tightening the back bolts and you are done.

Now the wing has a little stand off and a little agressive look.
If left this way it may get a little wobble on the highway or when you hit bumps. I plan to make larger bases for it to hold it steady and even perhaps just have it molded to the hatch permanently. When it become permanent it MAY provide some added downforce. Even now im sure it will but not in a effective measure as it has some flex room.

Enjoy guys.

** I Have NOT TESTED it yet on highway speeds yet.**

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Itsawagon37 is offline   Reply With Quote