tauntaun
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355236
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza L wagon
red

Default 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.2 - squeaking noise at highway speed

Hi all, new member here. About a week ago I bought a used '01 Suby from CarMax's wholesale lot, and it's a great little car. I know it needs an oxygen sensor and knock sensor (OBD codes) and also the front CV boots (mechanic inspected). I also had to replace the front two tires as the driver's front tire was the donut wheel.

Here's the weird part: whilst driving down the interstate yesterday, about 70 mph, there was suddenly a strange squealing sound from the engine bay area. It sounded like a mixture of belt squeal and tire squeal, and for a split second the front of the car dipped down and the wheel felt a bit loose in my hands. This happened 2-3 more times within the next several miles, and once more after I got off the highway, at about 40 mph. I checked all the fluids and belts, and other than being in need of an oil change (very dirty) everything checked out.

Have any of you experienced something like this before? I just want to make sure it isn't something catastrophic. I drove at 60-65 mph on the way home and the issue did not arise again. The car has 151600 miles. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tauntaun is offline   Reply With Quote