View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #4246
kutatk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355423
Default 2012 Impreza 2.0i Limited mpg

Further to my above two posts. Here are some tricks I use to maximize mileage...

I do the obvious stuff like keeping the tires inflated (usually to ~38 psi), gradual accelerations, and using cruise control or equivalent manually controlled constant speed when possible.

With the CVT, you have probably noticed that it often automatically changes the gear ratio to create engine compression breaking when you are coasting (it picks a lower gear and revs the engine). This is especially true when coasting down hill. This is an annoying feature and one that Subaru could have done without. I'd much rather decide when to do this myself with the paddles. So, if I am trying to coast to maintain momentum and save fuel and if the CVT auto shifts to a lower gear, I'll use the paddles to pop it back into a higher gear to minimize the compression breaking... thereby maximizing the ability to coast and save fuel. If I know I am going to be on a long steady descent, I'll often shift into manual mode and use the paddles to shift into the highest gear for this same benefit.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kutatk is offline   Reply With Quote