Wow, what a pan in the ass to do alone. I ended up using some rubber grommets (also in the Lowes hardware section) as my "spacers". I feel it's a little more sturdy have these as they have a wider base, plus they're already black. I also used a small piece of 3m double sided tape on the back of the female binding post (the one that attaches to the wing) to help hold them in.
I'm on a search to find steal binding posts because I ended up using a regular bolt to thread into the female post and I'm pretty sure the threads are messed up on one side but it's holding together for now.
I'm going to keep messing with it and I'll post updates as well as pictures of before and after.
I stated taking pictures of the process but realized I wanted to do more trouble shooting first before I post more info.
Stay posted fellow wagon owners!