Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
ShadowBoxer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355583
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza Coupe
Green

This is my temporary workstation where I will be doing other technical tinkering.

This is my empty trunk and the underside view of the rear speaker deck.
You see a soundstream sitting in its slot on the left, cables hanging down.
A soldering iron is also present, hanging down thru the hole on the right.
That happened because the iron's power cord isn't long enough to reach the trunk from where it is plugged into the wall, so I had to use a power converter which plugs into my cigarette lighter socket. Not to mention, I had to solder the power connections back together in that lil tool before I could use it in the car. So that was a brief setback for that day, only starting the exchange from my noob soldering skills for learned craftsmanship techniques.. All good though.

Look at the cig lighter and the connections all the way down for a visual of how much cable stretch was involved. No extension cords were used, because I did not have a grounded extension cord to use for the iron. I'm also thinking it might be a slightly bad idea to use a soldering iron in an extension cord. But is it a worse idea than using it in a car socket thru a power converter? I kinda doubt it altogether. Electricians or anyone with knowledge, can you relate?

Closer view of the SoundStream sitting (not screwed in) and the exposed soldered connections (I taped those up later with electrical tape.) This is not a permanent job here. But I intend for it to be as close to it as possible each time...This one was just a long shot, that's all.

And the other side with some prepped factory connections and the hanging iron

Lastly, this is what the topside view looks like.. without the cheap foam padding I put under there with the one screw... (looks hella bootleg. perhaps a theft deterrent? wait til u see it)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote