TurboLag23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 347343
Vehicle:
2004 Outback H6
2008 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyetex View Post
I am looking into getting a leggy for the family dd ( anyone want a silverado?). I like the price point on the 01-04 leggys and outback. In the end, I would like a manual transmission and the h-6 engine. So there is the question. Is it easier to swap the transmission from auto to manual and just trick the ECM, or is it easier to swap out the motor and run some engine management system. Surely someone has done this before, but the answer to which way is simpler has popped up in any of my searches.
I've been researching the same swap for my 2004 Outback H6 LLBean. Ideally for me, the swap would be a 6MT with an R180. Theoretically, it should be much easier to swap the transmission than to swap the engine. Fooling the ECU/TCU into cooperating with the manual transmission in such a way that everything still works (VSS, ABS, cruise control, no CEL's, etc.) will be challenging, but swapping engines would require doing all that wiring work, which just sounds terrible.

Here's my thread where I've compiled basically all the knowledge I've garnered from my research. PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE NOT DONE THE SWAP!!!!! For the love of God, PLEASE fact-check everything I write hahaha.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2469367

Best of luck, and if you do jump on it please make a build thread!!!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TurboLag23 is offline   Reply With Quote