Scooby Newbie

Member#: 108462
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schikane View Post
Is that the oil Volks recommends for their turbo diesels? Good numbers. The factory fill looks rather thin @ 3000 miles but tons of moly and calcium.
I purchased it at the VW dealer, only place I could find it. It's a bit pricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
It's one of the oils VW recommends for the Tdi engines. Off the top of my head I don't remember whether this is the 504/507 variety or the 505.01 variety. The additives make me think it's the former. 504/507 is low SAPS for use in diesels with DPF, 505.01 is for the older cars without DPF.

The Lubro-moly skews the UOA a bit (also a thick 30wt), but Edge OE does look pretty good. Sneak up on the 7,500 mile OCI, maybe try 6,000 first.

Wow, I just agreed with Blackstone, there's a first...
According to the datasheet for 5w30 the Edge Prof. OE is 505.1 and the Edge Prof. LL03 variant is 504/507. 6k sounds good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Isn't adding moly to a low SAPS oil kind of an oxymoron? Actually, I added it to a mid-SAPS oil, Motul X-clean, (trying to re-create the "feel" of Red Line) but the consistency freaked me out a bit. Was this a full can of Lubro Moly?

Maybe I'm used to high detergent oils but the Castrol OE looks weak in the calcium/magnesium department. Of course, I suppose this is the limitation of this type of uoa and some of the new non-metallic additives that won't show up in a typical uoa.

Hopefully the aluminum is just "noise".

-Dennis
Why is it an oxymoron? It was 50-75% of a can in this oil. My logic was to add the moly to closer approximate the factory fill moly levels. Subaru recommends the high moly factory fill in for 7,500 miles so I wanted to get close to that. Hopefully my logic makes sense :/

Any ideas why this oil would be lower on detergents? That would just necessitate shorter OCIs right?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrx12tt is offline   Reply With Quote