Scooby Newbie

Member#: 667
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX 5D
Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
Take your car on a real track for more then a couple laps. You'll immediately wish you had brembos. Now to the trans. I broke mine twice in my 2700 lb Rs with lgt gears which is the same gears as the current wrx. Once was rely with zero abuse. Second was on its first semi hard launch. Had maybe slightly less then 350 whp.
Ahem.... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2493612

The brake fluid boiled and pads were fried but I was still able to make the most of what the car had to provide. I was not left wishing I had Brembos, though the good fluid and pads would have been nice, and certainly towards the end of the day allowed me to cut much faster lap times.

Now that the pads and fluid are done, I'd say that it would take a pretty big bump in power and grip to make the car cry for larger, more powerful brakes. A stage 2 car with race tires, the brakes are definitely going to be an issue again.

As for the trans thing, you might want to see my join date. I had one of the first custom turbo 2.5RS in the country. I blew the motor before the trans, and then I was running a Legacy turbo 2.2 shortblock on '98 RS heads and did numerous track days, auto-x's and rally-x's in that car with zero problems on the stock 5 speed.

Maybe I was lucky, maybe you were unlucky, but the point is I don't do hard launches with awd cars (something has to give, and it's usually not the tires), I don't rush 1-2 shifts, I usually don't downshift into 1st. These little things alone seem to make my transmissions last when others don't. It was no different when I was f-ing around with custom turbocharged 80's watercooled VWs, people blew up those trannies all the time, yet mine were always fine.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Tyrmeltr is offline   Reply With Quote