Scooby Newbie

Member#: 137003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
Sure do. Father was a pilot for American for 30 years. He'll never step foot on a turbo prop either. But that's pretty irrelevant. Why is it that any discussions revolving around airplanes turn into people comparing e-dick sizes? Never understood the ego trips people take with this stuff.

Besides, I spent 9 years living in a small town serviced ONLY by Dash-8s and Saab 340s jumping to PHL or PIT. Don't remember enjoying any of those flights, and the flight crew always looked like they were barely out of high school. Not to mention the seats are probably the most uncomfortable seats in the history of commercial flight.
It's not a dick measuring contest, it's that your fear if turboprops just doesn't make any damn sense.

Turboprops really aren't a whole lot difference than turbofans. In a turbofan there are just more blades, they're housed in a cowling, and you can't adjust the pitch of them. If I'm going to get into a situation where I need more power, quickly I'd rather be in a turboprop vs a jet. Turbo fans have a pretty good delay from the time you push the thrust levers forward and you actually get any thrust out of it. Throw in the more predictable stall characteristics of a straight wing, I'd say you are probably more likely to extract yourself from a crappy situation in a prop.

Ill give you the fact that they are be as comfortable. If you're worried about young pilots, most turboprops have gone away in the past 10 years. Ill let you guess what the young pilots are flying now.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Screaming_Emu is offline   Reply With Quote