IveBeenRued
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305466
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I believe I've read elsewhere that K&N's quality isn't what it used to be. Perhaps others can confirm. I'd research this further on the Bob Is The Oil Guy site before I'd install a K&N filter on my car.
I don't doubt that one bit. I did quite a bit of research on the K&N filters before I started using them and they are essentially the same thing as the Mobil1 oil filter(made in the same factory and on the same line) but they are painted differently and have a nut welded to the top. All my research was done a few months ago before these Korean filters hit the market and people seemed to love the K&N filters(made in the USA).

My guess is that these Korean filters are made quite a bit cheaper. Overall they were smaller, lighter, and the sidewalls seemed thinner as I was able to squeeze the filter and see a deformation. I also looked through the opening and noticed that there were fewer holes and the holes were quite a bit smaller than in the US made filter. This may restrict oil flow causing the bypass valve to open prematurely.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
IveBeenRued is offline   Reply With Quote