Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #650
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Last night I got the dead 4-cyl out of the car. I had already pulled basically everything off of it - intake manifold, accessories, exhaust header - so it was just a matter of separating it from the transmission and yanking it out. The nuts on the two lower studs holding the trans to the engine were harder to get to than I remembered (particularly the driver side), but with some cursing I fought through that. And of course one of the alignment dowels (passenger side) hung up, so I had to rock and jiggle and pry for probably 20 or 30min before the engine finally came free.

My engine collection is growing.

Sunday I spent some time with the drill and the nylon "wire wheel" cleaning up the intake manifold. It was pretty filthy, but looks OK now. I'm still debating what I want to do with it. I think painting it burnt copper like the valve covers and timing cover would be too much, so I had been thinking of going black or wrinkle black. (I've been planning to test out both the EZ30D manifold and the EZ30R manifold, which is black plastic, so if I paint the 30D manifold they would have the same look going.)

I got the accessory brackets (PS and A/C) powdercoated a silver/aluminum color, but it occurs to me now that they're going to look out of place because the block and heads aren't particularly clean and shiny. Hmmm... Might scuff up the powdercoat and hit them with the flat black I've used on a few other bits.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote