View Single Post
Old 06-19-2000, 08:23 AM   #8
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

AaronB, unfortunately I don't have access to a G-Tech, but I've asked around so hopefully I'll be able to get some results sometime. If it comes down to it, I might just have to buy one...

Larry, yeah I have to worry about a bit of water, but I think that it's not too big of a deal. The front edge of the hole in the hood for the scoop falls short of the filter so there is rom for water to roll up the hood and fall into the engine compartment rather then into the intake. The upper 3/4" of inside of the scoop is what'd gather the water, but considering the angle and everything, I don't think much water will get in there. We'll see.

An Amsoil filter would be ok, but there is one thing that I have to keep in consideration - that the bolts from the underside of the scoop actually protrude into the filter and hold it down / damage it a little. I don't want to get an Amsoil filter if I think that those bolts will just go through it. I've never seen one, however, so I don't know all there is to know about them.

BTW, that angle is probably closer to 75-80 but I've never measured it. Also, the plenum box section that sits up there is over the coolant hose about 3/4" to 1" so you can't see a little of the bend.

Keiho, Yeah, it would work a little better if the front side was down a little more, but I didn't want to cut up my stock into plenum box.

Bob O, I've thought about that one before, but I don't have the means to fiberglass stuff (I've got no clue how or where to get fiberglassing material even). You're right though about the cardboard covers... I'd love to just make a mold and be able to duplicate them, though I don't have a clue how/where to start.

Revision, it loses less low-end then you'd think it does. I think what really causes the perception of a lot of low-end loss is the high amout of gain in the high end.

And yes, it sounds a lot like a Honda intake - which IMHO, just proves to me moreso that I'm doing it right (since Honda stuff has been tested and manufactured over and over and over again, they must have a decent idea of what's going on).

SubieFL, The coolant hose is to turn the intake up and actually get air shoved down it's throat. Not ram-air, but not quite cold-air either.

I left those mounting brackets where they were. The one on the driver's side was in the way a little, but it is just resting against it when mounted. I still use them to put the intake back on when it rains so I can put the whole box on without it just kinda cantilevering off the TB like it would be then.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.