View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
wawacoffee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369299

4. Disconnect the air bag harnesses
Depending on the region, there may be one or two harnesses, which are color-coded. You need to pry up the clip first then the body of the harness.

5. Disconnect the horn
There is a small hook and you need to press it before removing.

6. Disconnect the steering wheel control harnesses
The 12-pin harness is for horn, cruise control and satellite remote control. The small, 4-pin one on the right is for paddle shift. The XV Crosstrek keyboard I used here has different design for the right one so cannot be plugged in.

7. Mark the position of the steering wheel with tapes
Makes it easier when re-installing.

8. Remove the main lug
You need a good lug wrench to do so. I found the ratchet wrench in my tool set was too shallow and flimsy for this job. I used a wheel lug wrench. Its tightening torque is 39 N-m or 29 lbf-ft.

9. Take off the steering wheel
Wiggle around the wheel from different location to loosen it, and use good strength to pull it out.

10. Remove the back cover and the (empty) keyboards
Flip over the steering wheel, and remove the back cover. Each keyboard is hold by a Phillips screw, which can be easily removed.

11. Install the new keyboards, put everything back in reverse order, and enjoy the cruise control (and satellite remote)!
The computer will detect the new component and adapt automatically in starting up. Watch the upper right corner of LED display.

Cruise control turned on:

The illumination color of the keys fits perfectly:

It is absolutely unnecessary to use an aftermarket cruise control kit. Go buy a keyboard and enjoy the function your car already has!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by wawacoffee; 11-25-2013 at 11:42 AM.
wawacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote