Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRC Blue

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluiten View Post
Inners are easy as hell.
Remove axle from car.
Cut both boot bands or use a screw driver to open them.
Push the boot back off of the larger cup section.
Reach inside the cup and feel around for a thin wire ring type part that's recessed in a groove. Use your fingers or a screw driver to pull it out. Don't bend it.
Pull the axle out of the cup. Watch the bearings on the tri-lope to make sure they don't go spilling everywhere. Keep them on the tri-lope if you can. If not, take them off carefully and set aside.
Inspect everything for dirt or rust. If it's really gritty and looks worn, junk it and get a new axle. If not, continue.
Look for a c-clip on the top of the axle. This holds the tri-lobe part in place. Remove it.
Slide the tri-lobe pare off and set aside.
Remove the old boot.
Replace with new boot.
Reassemble in opposite order.
Put the band on the side with the axle shaft first. Then fill the boot with the correct amount of grease. The OEM kit comes pre-measured.
Put the other band on and rotate the joint side to side and in and out so the grease is in place.
Replace in the car.
Back from the dead because the comments above were vital for me. The thin wire ring inside the cup is the whole key to the game for the inner CV. Everything else is simple and obvious. I practiced on the first, and took pix on the 2nd that I will try to post later for reference for other newb's in the future.

Unfortunately, I'm rather stuck on the outer CV joint. I've got both boots off, and one joint is even completely clean. I don't see any clips or wires to remove. I've tried hitting it with a 3 lb dead blow mallet, but no luck though I'm not certain I was hitting the right part.

As I look down on it, there is the drive shaft, inner race, outer race/balls, CV shell. I was pulling down on the shell while hitting it with the dead blow hammer. Do I need to do something different?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dagger108 is offline   Reply With Quote