Member#: 108462
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
I'm changing mine today. M1 ESP 5w30.

Yea, I know, spendy, low TBN, yada yada. If you're going to experiment, might as well pick something on the frontier of technology. The DI VW/Audi folks claim it's the best for preventing intake deposits. Might be just the thing for owners of new FA20 DIT engines who want something a bit thicker than RC 5w30, though my engine isn't the best test case. We'll see how it holds up, I'm going to run it for at least 6,500 miles, possibly with an intermediate UOA. The one thing I'm worried about is inducing some oil consumption by switching, so far my engine has never required any replenishment in 53k mi.

When we left for grandma's house on Christmas eve it was -19*F here. The car was a bit crabby out on the road with Redline 5w30 in the sump. Turbo responsiveness was slow and the engine makes more growling noises, though I'm not sure I can blame the growling noises on the oil. Still, not quite as good in extreme cold as GC or especially the Redline 0w30. I suspect the RL 5w30 has thickened a bit with 6,000+ miles on it, at least in very cold temps. Nothing to report on starting behavior as it was in the garage and plugged in.
I have about 2k on my OCI with ESP so far. I think I'll do a UOA around 5k without changing the oil. If the TBN comes back good, I'll try and run it out to 7.5k. I've consumed about 1/3 of a quart in 2k (probably because I've been switching oils a lot). We had a -12F morning a few weeks ago and the ESP did well. Seemed to struggle a bit initially starting, but ran just fine when driving.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrx12tt is offline   Reply With Quote