Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360640
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy L Wagon
Hunter Green

Default 4 Reserved

Delta Cam 1500 Grind Install!!!

Detailed instructions for the SOHC EJ251 install are here: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t960...t-install.html

Delta Cams has three "street able" cam profiles. 1000, 1500, and 2000.
1000 Grind is more low end torque. It works fine with the stock ECU and idles close to normal.

1500 Grind, which I have, is more mid range with top end HP capabilities. It idles sort of weird on the stock ECU, I recommend a piggyback ECU like the Greddy E-manage Blue, E-manage Ultimte or TurboXS UTEC (which is kind of old but extremely close to a stand alone. Our Phase 2 EJ251 equipped vehicles have a "smart ECU" that literally learns your habits and can learn how to overcome the 1500 Grind's idle problem. Search about this, the info is out there on how to get it to learn.
Ps. an APEX-i SAFC WILL NOT WORK. The ECU learns around it. The E-manage Blue, Ultimate, and UTEC work differently and WILL WORK on our ECU's.

2000 Grind, is strictly a top end HP cam. It WILL NOT idle on stock ECU hardly at all without raising the idle RPM (which you need a program and cable to do it). A piggyback ECU is A MUST for this cam. But keep in mind, this cam does no make it's power in the lower RPM's where we daily drive, it's up in the high RPM's.

They're here!

Now we start.

Oh and a little trick for my 4EAT people trying to get the crankshaft pulley off without an impact gun. Take a long pry bar and shove it on the hole that covers the flex plate for the torque converter to stop the engine from rotating when you try the break the bolt loose. There's a rubber cover over the whole. You can see what hole I'm talking about here:

Pulled the passenger head off. Please do one at a time lol. It's a simple mechanics rule that helps prevent screw-ups.

My cylinders were in amazing shape for 115, 000 miles. They still showed good crosshatching and had very little compression chamber pitting.

Head off now to 10mm STI oil pump.

Cleaned and good to go!

Reassembled with Delta cam in!

Thinner STI head gasket.

To be continued...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Wcfd2509; 01-29-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Added info
Wcfd2509 is offline   Reply With Quote