Name: David Gurtner

Make: 2002 WRX

Mileage: ~19K

Time Out Of Use: 12+ days maybe more

Problem And Likely Cause: ABS failure

Modifications: None

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): YES

Reason Given For Denial: Still waiting on determination

Your Story: In stop and go traffic on Ventura Freeway near Tarzana exit (the freeway is 'rain grooved' and a bit rough!) on 06/16/2003, my wife was driving the WRX following me (I was pulling our trailer with my 00 2.5RS), traffic came to a sudden stop while we were traveling at 25 to 30 mph...she had a good three to four car lengths between us but when she applied the brakes the right front 'felt' like it broke loose, the ABS kicked in, the pedal sank to the floor and the braking was severely reduced...consequently she rolled into the back of the trailer at an estimated 5 to 7 mph doing in excess of $5K damage to the WRX! No one was injured but scared the 'crap' out of my wife! Big Valley Subaru's body shop is finishing the repair work and sending the WRX to their service dept to evaluate the braking system including the ABS! This happened once before but we were not aware of an issue with the ABS and we wrote it off as 'road conditions'. My wife also noted that the ABS was very sensitive when we bought the WRX (right off the truck with 8 miles on it!) but after about a month the sensitivity diminished. It returned after warranty work to the clutch M/S cylinders in May and we believe it caused the accident on 06/16/2003 as well as the previous issue we thought was 'road conditions'
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dave_G2 is offline   Reply With Quote