Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #5238
jasonb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1809
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX wagon, OBP
99 Jeep XJ

I am ready to upgrade my set up. I have been running some KYB GR2's with Prodrive then Mach 5 springs. Maybe it's cause I'm getting older, or maybe because this set up is getting tired, but they have seemed much harsher on things like bridge expansion joints and rougher roads. Going over Vail Pass the other day I felt like some of the hits there were going to break something.

Anyway, I have been considering the Koni's, since they are on sale, mated to the RCE wagon springs. Two questions with that: I have never read conclusively whether the Koni's fit into the GR2 strut body. I saw someone on another forum mention in passing they would fit, but no one who has out right done it. I already have Group N top hats, on a side note.

I am really concerned about the Koni's on rougher roads though. I never really take the wagon on dirt roads anymore, and I don't rally cross it, but some of the roads here are rough, plus the fact that many of the roads are snow covered for a good portion of the year.

The other option is the ST coilovers. I am aware that that I will lose negative camber up front. I am prepared to run camber bolts. Actually, I have them in the rear now, but figured I could take those out since the rear ST's are slotted.

I want something that it sporty, but more "compliant" if that makes sense. I am not necessarily interested in adjustments (for either dampening or ride height). I would like to get it set and forget about it. My driving these days is a 60 mile daily commute to work, with spirited mountain driving, but no track or autocrossing.

Oh and I run 215 45 17's in the summer and 205-55-16 snows in the winter.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote