rosss
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1841
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza RS
Silver

Neat idea.

Hell, for that matter, you could just pick up one of the factory turbo Loyale or RX models, and boost the hell out of it. Just add some simple piggyback engine management, and start turning up the boost. Sure the heads suck, but it'd be *way* cheap. After you blow that moptor up, you'd *still* have the chassis to throw a 2.5 into, and you'd have experience tuning the old turbo -- fairly "risk free" too.

I remember a web page about somebody that had done this (it was either an RX or XT...?) and it was a damn fast car. He melted pistons a lot, but if I recall, he was just boosting the crap out of a stock engine, and not anything else. Of course, I can't find the page now. With some precautions you could probably get one to be powerful and semi-reliable, for at least a while. They did already have an iron block and low-compression pistons...

Sounds like fun... I bought a '90 loyale wagon brand new, and that thing served me very well until I bought my '99 RS. I sold the 9 year old Loyale for $4k at that point too...

Sean
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.