Klaus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 40416
Vehicle:
68 Porsche VW Bus
white

Hi,

Quote:
Even if it was a non-encased LCD with 3 digits (and a decimal, of course) that was 1.75" x .75" it would be perfect to sit in a gauge pod, and just making a cover for it would make it appear clean (which I'm sure most people can do, but just not the electronics side of it).
Unfortunately we don't have the resources right now to design a complete display except the one we are planning anyway (and that is no bigger than the one in the instrument). If we did, we would also need to design the bezel, mounting etc. because we don't want to ship a half baked product. For a DIY one you might want to check out www.digikey.com and search for 'digital panel meter'. You will find a whole raft of them and I'm sure you will find one that suits your requirements.

Quote:
Also, is there anything wrong with mounting this permanently in the car? (in the downpipe after the turbo 6-8") I would think since it's an OEM sensor for VW that it should last at least 100k on unleaded fuel... right?
> 100k is what the Bosch specs say. If that is reality, we will see. The unit will tell you when it is time to replace the sensor, determined by its response time (old ones, like people, get sluggish).
There's nothing wrong with permanently mounting it in the car. The manual has details on what to look out for when you do that. Just don't mount it in the engine compartment (Zip-tied to the exhaust manifold is a definite no-no). LCD's don't accept a too high temperature. You will have an inadvertently colored LCD.

Quote:
And lastly... any chance of a group buy if we can get 5 people together around here that want one? I realize it couldn't be much due to profit margins, but it doesn't hurt to ask
Yes, incidentally, 5 units is our first discount break for dealers. Contact patrick@innovate-tech.com (sales). I will prewarn him. Be aware that our first production run is just about sold out and the next batch is a few weeks away. For a group buy we would ship to one shipping address from which whoever is distributing it can ship it further, essentially treating the group as dealer. But that isn't my bailiwick.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote