View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 05:20 PM   #20
HFTuRbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34388
Vehicle:
04 WRX STi
Black w/gunmetal

The car mag. article was a good one and is factual on the stopping distances and handling in deep snow. So, if you experience driving in snow on a regular basis, or live in an area where it's the last place that sees a snow plow then by all means get snow tires.
Alot depends on how long it takes the roads to be cleared. I've never had snow tires on any car since the late 1960's. All season tires seem to be the better investment and will not wear hard as snow tires do on tarmac. One factor is actually; how much FUN do you plan on having driving in the snow? Some folks cannot wait until the snow falls so they can go out and have a ball skidding in the white stuff. To those folks, I'd say, get the snow tires. The other type of driver usually wants to just drive through the stuff w/o any difficulties, taking it easy, and arriving at the destination a little later than usual.
When I have to drive in the snow there is a minimum amount of folks on the road. I've never really had much of a problem even on street tires (oem), but when I did get stuck a shovel works wonders to free-up the car.
The type of tire always seems to come down to personal prefference.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.