View Single Post
Old 09-13-2000, 09:13 PM   #13
Gary (gg)
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 179
Vehicle:
98 2.5RS
Rally Blue

I just got back from Topeka earlier this evening. I finished 29th out of 46, Chris Fleming finsihed 25th. It was crowded with the all time high attendance, roughly 1100+ competitors. Richard West ended up running DSP because he did not want to stay all week long and planned to leave Thursday. I think he finished 17th out of 25. He was running his old legacy setup tire-wise 225/50R16 in the front and 205/55R16 in the rear on BFG Comp TA R1's whereas I was running BFG G-Force R1's with the 245/45R16 on the front and 225/50R16 in the back. BFG did not show up at the Nationals, what a shame. I parked in the paddock with Eric and Richard and it was interesting to see each others setup. I had my Nexus tires stacked next to Eric's 225/45R16 Kuhmos and guess what? The 205 Nexus were exactly as tall as the 225 Kuhmos, that is why everyone claims that they fit without any rubbing. Eric chose to run the 205 for the ProSolo because he felt that they were faster than the 225's. The extra width of the 225 were negated by the extra width of the center groove on the 712's. Richard ran on the AVS Sport, 205/55R16. I will let him tell his side of the story. And Eric and others can tell their experience when they return.
The south course was a horsepower course. The slalom at the north side was just over 100' apart! I entered the slalom in 2nd, floored, shifted into 3rd and could have used a lot more power. Essentially, the south course had 2 areas that was 3rd gear and had a lot of sweepers where my RS just could not carve the corners. I was 2 second down after the day one.
The north course favored the Type R's, technical and 2nd gear for our cars. I ended up disconnecting the front sway bar to make the RS carve the sweepers at the risk of having slower transitions for the slalom. The trick worked for me as I moved up one position from 30th to 29th, 3 sec back on day 2 for a total of 5 seconds down to the winner in a Type R, there was at least 20 of them. The RS did carve the corners in the sweeper better and I could apply the power earlier. I think I would have slipped further back without this trick. I worked a corner with 2 Type R drivers and they were talking about the next one, a Type S and mentioned that all the Hondas crowd with Type R badges would have to buy new ones with an S on it. The next one should have 220 hp, 2.0 liter with a 6 speed. The highlight for my weekend was at the National warmup, on Sat I won GS out of 7 cars on my 4 year old Yokohama A008RS tires. The RS seemed more tossable on the Topeka surface with those than the BFG's I used during the Nationals. On Sun, I was 4th out of 6 with more of the big guns from the ProSolo showing up later on. There was all sorts of cars conceivable, the largest carshow in the Midwest. Before I left, I helped Eric put on his Kartboy rear swaybar endlinks and wished the other RS drivers in STS good luck.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.